Does it ever stop raining?
Nope. Not here. I've heard many people say that the weather should be better by the end of the week. Let's hope so.
This morning I discovered that my straightener doesn't work. At all. I hope it's not busted for good. So looks like I'm going to have to go buy a cheap European one...I can't live two months without that! But then again, ten minutes of straightening won't hold up in this rain.
Today was busy. We didn't do a lot of sightseeing, but I did get to meet some of the people I work with, move into my flat and go grocery shopping.
Work: Everyone seems nice, one of them is younger - closer to my age. Out of the eight or so people I am working with, three of them are named Martin. Popular name? I think so.
After that, I met the girl who's room I'm renting. She's studying French and German and hails from Interlaken. She's working in the French part of the Swiss Alps this summer cooking for a man and his two sons. She's also milking the goats and doing some barn work. While that seems like good old-fashioned fun for about five minutes, that makes me really glad to have the job that I do.
Later on, my dad and I went grocery shopping at a coop (pronounced co-op). This was interesting because it was hard to figure out what some things were. But I feel like I'm learning some German - it seems as though they just combine a lot of words into one and spell it literally. Did you know that mayonnaise comes in a tube like toothpaste? Or that you can buy orange juice in the same aisle as beer? Or that some Weight Watchers food is cheaper than the store brand? Only in Switzerland.
Also, only in Switzerland, do they have refrigerators the size of our dorm mini-fridges, no dishwashers (not much of a surprise), no clothes dryers and no microwaves. And front doors with an opening window. The view from my bedroom window is exactly like those you see in the movies. The window even has working iron shutters?!?! See my pictures for more of the flat.
There's only four rooms in my flat, five if you include the foyer. There's no living room or dining room. There's two bedrooms, a bathroom, foyer and a kitchen. But hey, at least when they move, there's not a lot to do!
By the way, I think I've broken my camera for good. It fell on the floor and the autofocus lens won't go in. Is it just me or are my electronics slowly dying on me? No straightener, a blow dryer that doesn't really blow, my computer won't charge unless it's plugged in while I'm on it and now the camera. As long as the computer still works, I think I'll manage!
Tomorrow, we are driving to Milan, so that means it's bedtime for me. Gute Nacht!
What I learned today:
- American electronics don't work in Europe.
- GPS can't always find you.
- Skype works!
Love,
Jessica

1 Comments:
I looove the shower curtain! LOL... Who's on it?
I totally don't get how they function with a dorm-sized fridge... Do they just grocery shop a lot and only buy a tiny bit each time, or eat out most of the time?
And clothes hangers outside in the rain... How does that work!
Make sure you bring back some toothpaste mayonaise when you come home!
:)
LOVE YOU MISS YOU!
-LD
June 17, 2008 at 2:11 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home