Friday, June 27, 2008

How small is my city?

Pretty small. I walked from the downtown area to my flat in about twelve minutes.

For those of you who know me, know I am not a walker. Of course I didn't walk back to my flat on purpose. I just couldn't find the tram stop. But it was a nice walk! Since the temperatures are nice and the sidewalks are even, I don't mind the walk. Plus it gives me a better sense of direction since I still can't find my street on the tiny map of Bern.

So it's good to know that a brewery/restaurant and the bear pit are close. I'm going to go see the bears tomorrow. They like to go to to sleep at 17:00, which for me, is when I'm getting off work. I might wander over to H&M and find a lightweight work skirt too. I can't even explain how much I sweat at work. All of my nice jeans I brought are uncomfortable when I'm sweating. Since there's no air flow in my office, I'm always fanning myself and everyone looks at me like I am crazy. I mean, I'm American! We have ice cubes and air conditioning so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

An office full of people in the afternoon doesn't smell so great either. Good thing my sense of smell seems to fail when sweat is taking over the inside of my nose.

So anyways, I've been too lazy to post in the last few days. If I had, there would not have been much to read. So I figured I would combine it all in one so it would make for something worth reading.

I finally met my roommate Andrea. She speaks English very well - but I think I might have mentioned that before. Anyways, the other night, one of her friends from med school came over and they were practicing sutures on chicken. Our dinner chicken, which was entertaining. So we all made dinner - I finally got my curry chicken. I gotta say though, the packet curry sauce is not spicy at all. So I was a little let down. Also, to make the sauce you need 3 dl of milk - which is the exact amount I had left. Coincidence or freaky? Regardless, I had a lot of fun talking to people my age.

Don't get me wrong, there are some entertaining people at my work, but they're all older than me. When you're trying to maintain a professional attitude, it's not easy to just joke around.

I really haven't been doing much this week, I've been exhausted when I get off work, so I've just been watching a movie and falling asleep. If you want a movie for girl's night, P.S. I Love You is five times better than The Notebook.

Yesterday I went to the Coop to get some more milk after work. I just could not resist the strawberries - they've been calling my name ever since I got to Bern. They are some picture perfect strawberries. I almost think they're the fake ones, but they are the best tasting strawberries I've ever had. Same with the peaches.

Right now, I'm exhausted so I will write more later!


Toodles! Love,
Jessica

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girrrrl, you better be out meeting people your age and finding all the fun places around the city! We ain't sittin around and watchin movies when I get there!

P.S. I love you! (My roommate and I cried like babies during that movie.)

And I'm glad you finally got to see the Sex & the City movie! So now I can't ruin it for you by quoting it and talking about what happened!

LOVE YOU MISS YOU!

-LD

June 28, 2008 at 5:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My trip to visit you has been officially canceled.

I would call you, but I'm crying so hard I can't talk.

Guess I'll see you back in RIC in a few weeks.

-LD

June 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home