Friday, June 20, 2008

Swiss Birthday Cake

Yep, today was my 23rd birthday.

When I got up, I did not feel like it was my birthday. It might be because I'm not in the US where we make a big deal of birthdays, whether you're 8 or 80. But my birthday here was kind of a big deal to everyone else.

This morning when I got to work, they had set out three decent sized fruit tarts: apricot, apple and a bitter berry. I don't think it was blueberry, it was too pink. But it was tasty! Especially since I didn't eat any breakfast.

Then I read some marketing/PR/advertising books. Fun, I know. I didn't learn much more than I already knew from Campaigns and Intro to Marketing. But I was also falling asleep. There's a reason campaigns is pronounced 'cam-pains' and not 'cam-pag-ins.'

Then we went to lunch. Ice is not available here - I knew that, but I think I didn't realize how weird soda tastes without it.

After lunch, I re-read some of my materials for the project. It's still not making sense on what I'm supposed to be doing, even though I understand the project. I guess this is why I'm not studying marketing PR and strategy.

So at about 16:00, or 4:00 (I can't get used to this 24 hour clock thing), my dad rolls in with strawberry tarts. We're still working and I'm not sure my boss was too happy about this. Even though I was really embarrassed, it was a sweet thing to do for me. I felt like a kid celebrating my birthday in kindergarten because he tried to bring enough for everyone.

After my dad leaves, my boss asks me how I'm coming on the newsletter. I told her I'm stuck since I'm not really sure how to approach it. She told me not to worry and that she was going to talk to another person in my office and get me involved in some creative projects. (Yay!) Because this is stuff that I know - and can do well.

After work, I took a short nap and then we went to Restaurant Rosengarten. It sits on a hill in the city overlooking the river of Bern. It was an awesome view - just like the movies! I know I say that a lot but the movies aren't actually lying to you (except for the way actors and actresses really look). I even took a picture of my dessert - tiramisu. I'm such a tourist, I know.

On the walk back to the car, I saw a lot of people my age sitting on the ledge overlooking the city (don't worry there was grass in front of them about 5 feet below in case they fell). And they were drinking! In public! Apparently you can do that here. There was also a field where people were playing soccer, kids were doing cartwheels, etc etc. I'll definitely try to go back there to make friends.

After that we wandered to the bear pits. Yes there are bears in the middle of the city. We didn't get to see the bears because they go to sleep at 17:00/5:00pm but there were a bunch of mice running around in their pit. I feel bad for those bears because it is such a small pit, but I'm sure they get fed well.

Near the bear pit is a brewery. Swiss beer is similar to pilsner beer, supposedly. But it was a nice bar/restaurant so I will go back there as well as soon as I can figure out how to read the bus schedule and figure out where to go so I don't get lost. Otherwise, it's not far from my flat. Maybe a twenty minute walk.

So now I am completely on my own. My dad headed back to his hotel and he leaves in the morning. I couldn't wait to get over here and now that I'm here, alone, I'm actually very nervous. And lonely. Not such a great ending to my birthday, but hopefully I will get to meet people my age soon!

Also, I've got some good news for you all back at home - someone downloaded the pictures from the past few days off my dad's camera so I can post some, so make sure you follow my 'Pictures' link! As for the ones taken today, you'll have to wait until someone in my office - hopefully - figures out how to get them off the camera.

Thanks to everyone for my birthday wishes :)

What I learned today:
- Holidays (known as vacation in the US) lasts on average 25 days here, and full-timers are allowed six weeks off a year, not including Catholic and national holidays.
- If you fail a university course more than once, you don't get to finish school. This is a country where no second chances are given - so you better know what you are doing and do it well, even when it comes to careers.
- The iPhone has yet to debut in Switzerland. It is available to the public on July 1.
- Weddings are not a big celebration here. Nor do those attending dress up.
- No one really dresses up for anything here. Not even fancy restaurants.


Guten Tag,
Jessica

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you fail a university course more than once...

Whew, good thing I don't go to school in Switzerland!


LOVE YOU MISS YOU!

-LD

June 23, 2008 at 2:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home